Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Margarita Cupcakes with Lime Cream Cheese Frosting, Sugar Crystals and a Lime Wedge, 05/05


Ok so in the past, I said I don't celebrate holidays on which I have to go to school, but maybe it's the southern California connection that I would prefer to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. For this day, which happened to fall on a Wednesday, I made my own version of several different designs I had seen browsing on the Internet. The recipe was a Lime Cupcake recipe from Crazy About Cupcakes (it's the lemon recipe, but altered for lime--I have had good luck with the lemon, so I figured I couldn't go wrong). To "spice" it up a bit, I added about a 1/4 cup of tequila (the cheap stuff)--nothing too overpowering, and it didn't really alter the consistency of the batter. They baked up nicely and then I frosted them with Lime Cream Cheese--cream cheese frosting recipe with some lime juice (so add a bit more powdered sugar to get the right consistency). After frosting them, I rolled the edges in clear sugar crystals (visit a Michaels Craft store), stuck a straw in it, and cut a little lime wedge! Bottoms up!!

1 comment:

  1. The best part of this particular Cupcake Wednesday was the group of teachers and counselors have a VERY heated debate trying to figure out what flavor these were. "It's Key Lime." "No! It's lime smoothie!" "No way. It's obviously margarita!" The only thing we could agree on was that they were DELICIOUS!!

    ReplyDelete