Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Honey Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting and "Bees", 04/28


Ok but seriously, how cute are these cupcakes? I can't exactly pinpoint the exact inspiration for my Bee Cupcakes because it came from a few locations (you would not believe how popular this theme is!). A recipe from a magazine I pulled out, a few cupcake books (Hey There, Cupcake! is one of them), and the internet (in the end, I used this location for the design for the bees). The honey cupcake is moist and rose to the perfect little domed top (like I've said before, I HATE flat cupcakes), with a slight hint of honey in the taste--it's perfect in that it was not overwhelmingly honey-flavored nor was it unnoticeable. The frosting was just a canned vanilla frosting, but I used it because, as Hello, Cupcake! correctly advises, these frostings hold the color to a truer hue, and they are easier to pile on. I used a large star tip to swirl the frosting (after tinting it a light shade of yellow) and then began assembling the bees. I used a toothpick dipped in black food color to dab on the eyes, pressed it into the cupcake and followed with a brown M&M, then a yellow one. You could probably go with one more brown, but I was running out out candies. The wings are almond slices--I just placed those next to the bees after they had been assembled (I did try to match up the wing size a little bit). I simply adore these cupcakes--they came out much cuter than I was expecting, and I'm not bragging, but rather trying to encourage the further creation of these cupcakes because they were just so easy!!

2 comments:

  1. You can make me a half dozen for my birthday! hint hint...so cute! and I love honey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can brag all you want about these Vick. So stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete