Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tropical Cupcakes with Rum Buttercream, Topped with Pineapple and Papaya, 04/21


Spring is approaching (well, I guess technically it is here, but it's 60 degrees outside in Southern California and it's APRIL). In honor of the season, I have chosen a fruity cupcake, Tropical, if you will, which also works well in anticipation of summer (33 SCHOOL DAYS!!). This tropical cupcake is from 125 Best Cupcake Recipes, which is essentially a white cupcake with Malibu-soaked dried fruit (papaya, mango and pineapple)--of which I included more fruit than called for--and macadamia nuts (which I cracked open and toasted myself, thank you very much). The fact that the fruit had been reconstituted in rum definitely contributed to the lingering coconut-rum taste, even after the cupcake had been baked. The toasted macadamia nuts gave the cupcake a stronger macadamia flavor as well, so there were a lot of flavors and tastes going on in this cupcake. To top it off, I frosted them with Rum Buttercream (from the same cookbook). Honestly, I don't think I've had a crush on something so much since my John Allred days (oh yeah, I brought it back!). This frosting is just fabulous, and with rum extract, you don't have to use as much. I topped the frosting off with little bits of dried pineapple and papaya, which reminded me of two things--a mosaic in an art gallery (because of the little pieces) and, for some reason, a 70s cupcake--I think it's the colors that remind me of the linoleum we used to have in the kitchen from when our house was built circa 1978 (?). But pretty nonetheless, and doesn't make me feel as guilty for an "unpretty" cupcake like last week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment