Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lemon-Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream, 03/02


Being that it's the first Wednesday in March, and, to me, March means spring (even if it is 65 outside), so I chose a fun, fruity cupcake for today, with a bright, spring-like cupcake wrapper! These lemon blueberry cupcakes are adapted from a recipe I found on the Internet. My main goal was to find a blueberry cupcake that wasn't just a white cupcake with blueberries thrown in--my foray into fruit cupcakes that tasted just like the muffin or bread version (see: Banana Caramel Cupcakes) made me gravitate toward something with puree instead of whole fruit. This recipe gave me the ingredients for the blueberry puree, which I added to (essentially) a yellow cupcake. I replaced one tsp of vanilla with a tsp of lemon extract and then stirred in the zest of 2 lemons along with the blueberry puree. To add my own "flair" (which is healthy), I used Egg Beaters, 1 cup of whole wheat flour, and 1/2 the sugar. The cupcakes are light and sweet, and not as close to blueberry muffins as the banana cupcakes were to their bread version, so I was satisfied. I think I might be able to keep this recipe and replace the blueberries with any type of fruit--strawberry, mango, etc. The frosting is a standard buttercream that I have made a million times, but with lemon extract and a touch of fresh lemon juice. Fun, fruity and festive for spring!!

Side note: I cannot remember the last time a batch of cupcakes got devoured like the did this week!

2 comments:

  1. The cupcakes were very good, but I just don't think you spent enough time talking about that frosting. OMG that was the best frosting!!! Even after you left, we all talked about how yummy the frosting was. Mike and Art said they wanted to swim in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this. I am glad you were able to adapt my cupcakes to your liking! And, yes changing the fruit is absolute possible. When using a fresh strawberry puree, I mix in a little strawberry jam to help the red color.

    ~Chris (www.melecotte.com)

    ReplyDelete