Friday, December 4, 2009

Peppermint Cupcakes with Peppermint Frosting and CandyCane Sprinkles, 12/02


With three weeks left until Christmas vacation, I have gathered all the Christmas-themed cupcake recipes I can find and have them lined up for the next three Wednesdays. The first Christmas-themed Cupcake Wednesday was peppermint. Peppermint cupcake. Peppermint frosting. Peppermint sprinkles. It was like a giant cupcake breath mint. The recipe was out of Crazy About Cupcakes, and, true to the rest of my experiences with the cupcakes out of this cookbook, they were DELICIOUS. I liked how there was a TABLESPOON of peppermint extract in the recipe (and that is even when I halved the recipe) and a whole bunch of crushed candy canes. The cooking temperature and time seemed a little off, so I kept them in a little longer and upped the temperature about 25 degrees, but still the cupcakes stayed VERY moist (Marnie and I enjoyed that aspect the most--they were sticky:)). I think the candy cane pieces must have something to do with that when they melted. Tasty nevertheless. The peppermint frosting was creamy and I think an even better topping would have been peppermint cream cheese frosting (but I've been pretty reliant on cream cheese frosting lately and I wanted to branch out). These cupcakes reminded me of Candy Cane Lane--perfect for an introduction to the holidays!!

1 comment:

  1. Although peppermint is not nearly my favorite flavor, I really liked this cupcake! Next time I come home I'll bring the Southern Tier Choklat! Hopefully the weekend of the 19th.

    ReplyDelete