Monday, February 1, 2010

Crazy Cake, Friday, January 29th


Alright, so it's not Wednesday and it's not a cupcake but I have to display this newest creation--CRAZY CAKE!! For Kelli's REAL birthday, I had been saving this cake for about a year. She sent me a picture of this cake on another website, and asked how on earth this was possible. I did some clicking and found the process, except I added my own little touches. First of all, it is just a regular cake mix (Fresh and Easy), and made according to the box (this is different than the other example, which did it the "Weight Watchers" way). I divided the batter into 4 portions of 1 cup, and two portions of 1/2 cup.Three colors made up each of the round cakes, because I wanted three colors per layer. Because of the watery nature of this batter, I tried my best to place a little cardboard divider as I was pouring so it didn't spread out too much--it worked out just ok. Bake the cake according to the directions, and then I repeated the process for the second cake while layer one cooled off. I even sliced off the top so it was as flush as possible (it wasn't 100 percent successful, but good enough). After everything had cooled off, I spread a little vanilla frosting on the top of the bottom layer, and put the top layer on, adjusting for maximum color exposure once cut. My next step (a day later) was to frost the cake with Kelli's favorite frosting, Vanilla Cream Frosting, and it frosted very well. I was unsure of how well I would know how to frost a cake without making unsightly dents in the frosting, but this frosting did not pull on the cake or do anything that would make my nightmares come true. I dyed some leftover Pillsbury Vanilla Frosting purple (Kel's favorite), and piped on some shells on the top and the bottom. There are so many different angles you can take with this cake (Cardinal and Gold anyone? :P ) for so many different occasions, and it's really not very hard. The one suggestion I would make is to have a second person there to help you pour (I was standing there wishing my cat Nan had opposable thumbs to help me--nothing came of it though).

3 comments:

  1. This is AMAZING! Vicki, you are becoming a pro at frosting too! This looks store bought (the frosting, not the cake part definitely, that's just waaaay too cool!)

    Question I have for you is, who is going to make the cake/cupcakes for your Wednesday Birthday this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was just such an amazing surprise! And the best part was that we thought the cake we saw online was the coolest thing ever. And your cake totally kicked that lady's cake's ass!!! Seriously Vick, you've got mad baking skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's rather artistic ... it probably deserves better than a watermelon plate ... be a shame to eat it

    ReplyDelete